In the figure above, you can see how the body position of the hack squat affects the muscles worked. With the Smith machine hack squat, we will reproduce that body position to target the quads.
How To Do A Smith Machine Hack Squat
To do a Smith machine hack squat, start by adjusting the equipment to suit this exercise. Set the bar at about shoulder height, and the safety stops at around waist level or just below.
Next, step under the bar and lift it off the safety stops. Then, step forward where your feet are about 12 inches ahead of your hips.
Now perform the squat movement by lowering your hips straight down and bending at the knees. As you squat, try to keep your back straight and vertical.
Lower the weight until your thighs are below parallel to the floor. Then lift the weight back up by extending your knees and squeezing your quads.
To recap, here are the step-by-step directions:
- Set the bar and safety stops to the appropriate height
- Put the bar on your shoulders and lift it off the safety stops
- Squat down while keeping your back upright
- Lift the bar by extending your knees and squeezing your quads
- Repeat for the desired number of reps and rerack the bar