How To Romanian Deadlift vs Stiff Leg Deadlift
Next, I will show you how to do the Romanian deadlift and stiff leg deadlift exercises with proper form.
How To Romanian Deadlift
For the Romanian deadlift, you’ll begin with a barbell sitting on the floor. Then, step up to the bar and plant your feet shoulder-width apart.
Now bend forward and grab the bar with an overhand grip outside your shins. Then lift the bar to your hip level like a conventional deadlift.
Push your hips back from this starting position and bend your knees slightly as you lower the bar. Keep the bar as close to the front of your thighs as possible.
Once the bar passes just below your knees, squeeze your hamstrings, and drive your hips forward to raise the bar back to the starting position. Repeat for the desired number of reps before setting the bar back on the floor.
To recap, here are the step-by-step directions:
- Step up to the bar with feet about shoulder-width apart
- Grab the bar with an overhand grip just outside your shins
- Lift the bar from the floor to your hips like a conventional deadlift
- Push your hips back and bend your knees slightly to lower the bar
- Keep your back flat as you lower the bar just past your knees
- Squeeze your hamstrings and drive your hips forward to raise the bar
- Repeat for the desired number of reps