Easy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Recipe
Super simple 20 minute recipe for fat loss & muscle gain
If you’re trying to lose fat and gain muscle, then chances are you have a very busy schedule. And that means you don’t have time to prepare elaborate meals from scratch.
At the same time, you don’t want to eat highly processed meals from a box. So I’ve got a healthy and easy recipe just for you.
By the end of this article you’ll know how to prepare a delicious chicken, broccoli, and rice recipe in under 20 minutes. And you can split it up into 2 or more meals to save even more time.
Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Recipe
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 cups precooked wild rice
- 16 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Herbs and spices to taste
- Cut the chicken breast into small chunks using a kitchen shears
- Add 1 tbsp coconut oil to the skillet and melt
- Combine chicken breast with oil in skillet
- Season with chili powder, turmeric, onion powder, oregano leaves, and a small amount of crushed red pepper
- Saute’ over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked
- Place cooked chicken into a large bowl (leave the remaining fat and oil in the skillet)
- Add frozen broccoli to skillet
- Saute’ over medium-high heat for approx. 8 minutes or until thoroughly cooked
- Partially tear open wild rice bag and heat in microwave on high for 60-90 seconds
- Combine ingredients in bowl and mix
- Separate into smaller bowls and serve
Servings – 2
Nutrition Information (per serving):
Calories – 629
Protein – 77 g
Carbs – 49 g
Fat – 13 g
Fiber – 5 g
Sugar – 5 g
Sodium – 275 mg
You can also adapt this recipe to meet your individual nutrition needs. For example, if your primary goal is fat loss, then you can reduce the amount of rice. Or if you don’t need that much protein, you can reduce the ounces of chicken.
Another option is to increase all the ingredients but split the final product into 3 or even 4 meals. By doing that way you cut down the calories and macros preserving while saving even more meal prep time.
Why Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Works
Over the years, I’ve used variations of this recipe in meal plans for myself and my clients. And this particular combination of foods gets results whether your goal is to lose fat, gain muscle, or both.
One of the reasons this recipe is so good is the combination of macronutrients. As we all know, chicken breast is one of the most concentrated sources of protein. And that means your body has the building blocks to create and maintain lean muscle.
In addition, rice is packed with starchy carbs that fuel intense workouts and help you recover after training. And the carbohydrates work together with protein to build more lean muscle. Broccoli contains some carbs as well, but more importantly it’s a great source of vitamin C, potassium, and fiber.
Finally, coconut oil is the best natural source of MCT’s (medium chain triglycerides). These healthy fats break down fast and get used immediately for energy. And coconut oil provides flavor without the fear of being stored as body fat.
However, it’s not just the macronutrients that make this chicken, broccoli, and rice recipe work. Actually, I chose thse specific herbs and spices to reduce sodium and fight inflammation that comes with vigorous exercise. In particular, many studies conclude that turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
Find Your Personal Macros
Are you unsure what your macros and calories should be to lose fat and gain muscle? If so, then I recommend you check out my free macronutrient calculator.